Author Topic: People who tow trailers with cars  (Read 56689 times)

redrider911

• Global Moderator
  • All pro
    • View Profile
    • Email
People who tow trailers with cars
« on: April 24, 2011, 01:43:13 pm »
What kind of load are you putting on your cars and how well does the car pull. I'm tired of my shitty ford and the 13mpg around town. I'm thinking about selling it and the trailer and getting a 4 door import and a open place trailer for 3 bikes and maybe a tool box on it to hold all the gear. I just wondered what kind of towing capabilities a car has. I know each one varies, just looking for some numbers.
"I swear, some chicks around here look like they fell face first into a tackle box on their way to or from the IHOP."
- Trail Ryder

ajd187

• Administrator
  • All pro
    • View Profile
Re: People who tow trailers with cars
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 02:05:46 pm »
We towed my bike,and Ada'ms bike on his trailer with his Huyndai.  It seemed like it dropped the mielage a bit but otherwise the car ran fine.
2007 KTM 200 XC-W #59

BLACKeR

• All pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 06:36:57 pm »
i wonder how much extra heat, and wear it puts on the transmission. i'd like to get a 2 place trailer for my wife's car, but am nervous about the strain on the transmission.

gokawi03

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 07:06:27 pm »
I towed a trailer with my Chevy Lumina years ago and it worked well. You could hardly tell you were pulling anything. I am sure it is putting pre-mature wear on the drive-train. Worked out well for me. Chris, I have been considering the same thing for well over a year now. I may just do it soon. Do any of you guys remember that Mike guy that bought one of my bike's? He had a tiny little bike trailer that held a single bike, that was pretty awesome and the route I would actually go.

mirageags

• All pro
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2011, 07:08:10 pm »
i installed a tranny cooler. just change your tranny fluid every 30k instead. alan and i had all our gear, both bikes, gas. tools ect and my fuel filter was trashed and still got like 23 mpg. my little car will tow 2000 pounds easy ive done it on side jobs. it usually gets 32 highway and when towing like a 1000 pound load it usually only drops to 27ish highway. it uses more gas on the hills is when its some higher rpm but on the thruway i dont even know its back there. then i drop the trailer and get my 32 mpg back. cant drop off the bed of a truck! but i still wish i had a small one.
2017 KTM 250 EXC-F
1983 KTM 250 MXC
2005 Yamaha TTR 125L
2009 Suzuki Boulevard M50 (vz800)
2008 Honda TRX250EX ( wifes)
1988 yamaha razz 50 scooter

BLACKeR

• All pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2011, 07:30:47 pm »
the transmission cooler and frequent oil changes is a good idea. i'd really like to have a set up for my car. it would be great to have the option, even if i still used my truck a lot.

gokawi03

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2011, 07:41:34 pm »
I was lucky on the Lumina and already had a trans cooler. I changed the trans oil and checked it by the end of the season and still looked good, didn't smell burnt. Not that it didn't mean I put a lot of wear on it. I would love to get 25 mpg HW even. I was thinking about getting a WRX. I can't see parting with my truck but 14MPG really does suck. Made me sick to my stomach filling up today at $3.95/Gal.. The though of more increase to come really stinks.

redrider911

• Global Moderator
  • All pro
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2011, 07:51:27 pm »
"They" are saying it will go up to $6 soon!
Adam, what kind of car do you have?
I'm thinking some sort of hatchback something so I can have room for some gear and a place to sleep when I'm at area 51
"I swear, some chicks around here look like they fell face first into a tackle box on their way to or from the IHOP."
- Trail Ryder

gokawi03

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2011, 07:58:38 pm »
I have heard $6 also. It don't bother me as much because I can ride my bike to work everyday. That really sucks for commuters though. It will still cost a fortune to go to Savannah as much as I do, so I might feel the pain.

redrider911

• Global Moderator
  • All pro
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2011, 08:06:07 pm »
Yeah that's why I'm thinking a car. I can ride my bike around, but what about winter and rainy days. A simple trip to Majestic in my truck is gonna cost $100 soon. I really don't know what car to even look at. I was thinking the dodge avenger rt awd but that only gets 18mpg. I need to double that and not have a gay car at the same time.
- Trail Ryder

ajd187

• Administrator
  • All pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2011, 08:40:41 pm »
Do any of you guys remember that Mike guy that bought one of my bike's? He had a tiny little bike trailer that held a single bike, that was pretty awesome and the route I would actually go.

I remember him.  He towed it with a late 90s Nissan Sentra.

I dont' think we'll see $6/gallon.  At some point the American public is going to break and not be able to sustain the economy.  I think that breaking point is probably somewhere at $4.50/gallon.

2007 KTM 200 XC-W #59

Oprah

• All pro
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2011, 08:41:16 pm »
Sucks for commuters is right. Just landed a job in Rochester and it's a daily 2hr round trip. 18mpg in my truck

ajd187

• Administrator
  • All pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2011, 09:00:15 pm »
Sucks for commuters is right. Just landed a job in Rochester and it's a daily 2hr round trip. 18mpg in my truck

Time to get a place up here or move in with your brother :)
2007 KTM 200 XC-W #59

Oprah

• All pro
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2011, 09:21:01 pm »
I've been seriously considering it seeing how it'll cost around $500 a month. Just need to get a few paychecks under my belt before I can start looking into it more.

mirageags

• All pro
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2011, 09:25:48 pm »
i have a 04 elantra passed down from my wife. best and highest rated compact for towing and great gas mileage, but dont get one. more problems than its worth.
2017 KTM 250 EXC-F
1983 KTM 250 MXC
2005 Yamaha TTR 125L
2009 Suzuki Boulevard M50 (vz800)
2008 Honda TRX250EX ( wifes)
1988 yamaha razz 50 scooter