Author Topic: People who tow trailers with cars  (Read 56682 times)

Trail Ryder

• HHM
  • All pro
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: People who tow trailers with cars
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2011, 10:20:15 pm »
I have a Triton 4.5 X 10' single place snowmobile trailer.  In the Spring, I take the top off and bolt 3 wheel chocks to it.

For years, I towed it with my Ford Taurus (changed the transmission fluid every 30,000 miles to be safe).  When towing solo (1 guy, 1 bike), I got decent gas mileage, but as soon as I put 2 bikes on it and had a passenger and all of our gear, then the mileage was no better than our Blazer (4.3 V6).  So for 2 or more bikes, I used the Blazer.
2018 KTM XCW 250 (carbed) - NY Street Plated

"Lol'd at the guy that didn't hook up his tether and launched his retard chariot into the crowd."
- redrider911
"Yup you had crappy gay stuff compared to what is available now ..."
- bardeenm1

lucescrewz

• All pro
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2011, 11:43:44 pm »
If you want to save on gas, buy a bike.  think you already hav ethat part covered.  About the car and towing, reference the vehicles GVWR.  Do not exceed this.  the extra drain on the elcectrical system is nothing.  As far as the transmission over heating, there is no real need to worry.  Air flow is from the front and if the car is struggling and you are under the GVWR, its covered in your "bumper to bumper".  What I like to do to avoid situations of excess strain on my truck is have someone else drive  :)

Jim052

• All pro
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2011, 12:06:28 am »
Golf TDI.  Ive Heard guys get ~50mpg and have more than enough nuts to pull a trailer.  Get the manual and forget about changing tranny fluid. :)

redrider911

• Global Moderator
  • All pro
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2011, 12:35:36 am »
Forgot to add a 14k spending limit. I like VW, Audi, etc. Problem is parts are twice the cost of standard cars.
"I swear, some chicks around here look like they fell face first into a tackle box on their way to or from the IHOP."
- Trail Ryder

bardeenm1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2011, 08:04:32 am »
My game plane is always try and car pool 3 bikes in the bed of the truck.  The $100 round trip for 3 guys is still expensive yes but split 3 ways becomes more liveable!  Towing my travel trailer is going to suck.  While it is very small still is like a sail behind and drops the mpg.  Looks like short drive camping trips in my future.

What about a 4banger s10 stick regular cab long box.  My buddy has a short box 4 banger standard and gets 30-32mpg toss 2 bikes in it and a tool box and roll! 

zwazuski

• Global Moderator
  • All pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2011, 08:20:50 am »
The truck I had before my Toyota was a Nissan Frontier 2wd with a 4 cylinder auto extended cab. I got 24mpg all day long with a bike or quad in the back. I am missing that thing right about now. Chris you may want to check into one of those, I bought mine for $14k drove it around for 2 years and put 45k miles on it and after I totaled it insurance gave me $13k and some change.

redrider911

• Global Moderator
  • All pro
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2011, 08:45:41 am »
What year s10? I was looking awhile back and they are hard to find. I was told they only get 17-18 mpg.
"I swear, some chicks around here look like they fell face first into a tackle box on their way to or from the IHOP."
- Trail Ryder

mirageags

• All pro
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2011, 09:02:48 am »
i have heard its gotten better mileage wise, but every s10 i ever drove around for work always got low gas mileage.
2017 KTM 250 EXC-F
1983 KTM 250 MXC
2005 Yamaha TTR 125L
2009 Suzuki Boulevard M50 (vz800)
2008 Honda TRX250EX ( wifes)
1988 yamaha razz 50 scooter

Jim Dettman

• All pro
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2011, 09:07:54 am »
 Besides the trans cooler, try to get a car with 4 wheel disk brakes if you can.

Personally, I love my minivan, although it's not as great on gas as with cars, (18 around town, 24 hwy), but you can't beat it for an all around do it all vehicle.

I've owned a van since '93 and used it extensively with Scouts and never had a problem towing; and I did some pretty heavy loads (three sets of tires on the trailer, two axles) and never had an issue.

With the 2007 I have now, I have the stow and go seating (disappears into the floor), with two captain style chairs in the middle row and a split bench in the back.  So I can have a wide number of variations between passengers and cargo space.  With the seats all down, I can get a 4x8 sheet flat in the back.

I do wish it got a little more mpg (especially now), but you can't have it both ways.  Most people don't realize it, but the Chrysler T&C's are actually considered light trucks.

Jim.
2009 CRF250x /2009 CRF450x

Trail Ryder

• HHM
  • All pro
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2011, 09:13:11 am »
Forgot to add a 14k spending limit. I like VW, Audi, etc. Problem is parts are twice the cost of standard cars.

I like Audis too, but will never own one.  A guy in my church owns at repair shop that specializes in Audis.  He says, whatever you buy the car for, have an equal amount of money set aside for repairs.  As repairs are labor intensive and parts are ridiculously expensive.  The same can apply for VWs, except for the Jetta.

My buddy has a Jetta TDI Sportwagon.  He gets 38 MPG when towing 3 guys, 3 bikes, and all of the gear.  Plus, the thing is FAST.

Most smaller pickups with V6s and automatics donít get better mileage than their full size counterparts.

I had a 4-cylinder Chevy Colorado and boy do I miss that truck.
2018 KTM XCW 250 (carbed) - NY Street Plated

"Lol'd at the guy that didn't hook up his tether and launched his retard chariot into the crowd."
- redrider911
"Yup you had crappy gay stuff compared to what is available now ..."
- bardeenm1

ajd187

• Administrator
  • All pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2011, 09:17:12 am »
Yep I would recommend the 4 cylinder truck as well.  I had a 6 cylinder Dakota (4x4) and it got the same mileage that my F150 does, with 2/3 of the horsepower and none of the comfort.
2007 KTM 200 XC-W #59

bardeenm1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2011, 09:25:56 am »
What year s10? I was looking awhile back and they are hard to find. I was told they only get 17-18 mpg.

98 s-10 2.2l average 30mpg mix of city highway with speed not exceeding past 65mph.  He gave the truck to his daughter and she has now driven it for 2 yrs beating the life out of it. 

I just looked on;ome at mid sized trucks and they are just barely better then my fullsize. Kind of sad how bad of mpg the 5cyl colorado gets! Dodge is comeing out with a new Dakota next year that is supposed to have some good MPG and redisigned.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 10:00:02 am by bardeenm1 »

mirageags

• All pro
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2011, 10:21:03 am »
minivans rock! chris would probobly never get one but for a family its great. our sienna gets 26 mpg and tows 3500. when i have the bike and wheeler and all the camp gear it still gets at least 24 highway. and roomy as hell, if you can think back to my pics of the trx in the back of the van.

what about a ford ranger?
2017 KTM 250 EXC-F
1983 KTM 250 MXC
2005 Yamaha TTR 125L
2009 Suzuki Boulevard M50 (vz800)
2008 Honda TRX250EX ( wifes)
1988 yamaha razz 50 scooter

redrider911

• Global Moderator
  • All pro
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2011, 10:25:20 am »
I had a 91 ford ranger back in 95/96. It had the dual plugs. I don't know the mpg because I didnt care lol. I would drive a minivan that got +35 mpg, not 20. I put the word out for a vw tdi sportwagon but that will be like finding a needle in a haystack. I also looked at hitches for that and they were pricey.
- Trail Ryder

ajd187

• Administrator
  • All pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2011, 10:47:41 am »
At $4/gallon I am almost ready to say f*ck it and get a damn Focus, and put a hitch on that. 
2007 KTM 200 XC-W #59