Author Topic: People who tow trailers with cars  (Read 56684 times)

zwazuski

• Global Moderator
  • All pro
    • View Profile

Jim Dettman

• All pro
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: People who tow trailers with cars
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2011, 11:15:25 am »
At $4/gallon I am almost ready to say f*ck it and get a damn Focus, and put a hitch on that.

Hey, you can do it even cheaper then that, but you might not get great results as seen in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a15Ycu7Z_Ss

Jim.
2009 CRF250x /2009 CRF450x

bardeenm1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2011, 11:24:46 am »
minivans rock! chris would probobly never get one but for a family its great. our sienna gets 26 mpg and tows 3500. when i have the bike and wheeler and all the camp gear it still gets at least 24 highway. and roomy as hell, if you can think back to my pics of the trx in the back of the van.

what about a ford ranger?

I rocked an asspro van for years.  I loved it.  Yes was not great gas mileage but so useable.  had towing capacity and plenty of space.  I was single when I first purchashed my asspro used it as a winter vehicle/party mobile and atv hauler as my z400 fit right in it.   We have a minivan now but is really a family vehicle I guess I could tow with it but that would mean my wife would be driving my truck.

mirageags

• All pro
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2011, 11:30:30 am »
At $4/gallon I am almost ready to say f*ck it and get a damn Focus, and put a hitch on that.
my brother tows with the focus wagon, gets 30 mpg, and room for cargo, and a luggage rack to boot.
2017 KTM 250 EXC-F
1983 KTM 250 MXC
2005 Yamaha TTR 125L
2009 Suzuki Boulevard M50 (vz800)
2008 Honda TRX250EX ( wifes)
1988 yamaha razz 50 scooter

redrider911

• Global Moderator
  • All pro
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2011, 01:04:31 pm »
Alan if you are gonna sell the truck you might want to do it before gas goes to $5 because it won't be worth any money LOL
"I swear, some chicks around here look like they fell face first into a tackle box on their way to or from the IHOP."
- Trail Ryder

BLACKeR

• All pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2011, 01:15:41 pm »

Hey, you can do it even cheaper then that, but you might not get great results as seen in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a15Ycu7Z_Ss

wow, how dumb does that guy have to feel.
Jim.

ajd187

• Administrator
  • All pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2011, 01:18:19 pm »
Yeah no kidding. 

Last time gas went to $4.50/gallon a few years ago, it killed the SUV market.  Light truck sales actually went up, I guess people still need trucks to work even with expensive gas.
2007 KTM 200 XC-W #59

Oprah

• All pro
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2011, 01:42:50 pm »
I still think a transit would be sweet but that won't help with gas too much. About the same as Jims Element. I just got done driving my grandpa's truck while mine was still waiting to be fixed. He has an '01 sonoma 4cyl and I have a '00 v6 s10 and it got close to the same mileage as my truck. About 21-22.My truck gets about 18.Note they're both auto's. And if you're not looking to get anywhere in a hurry than they're ok I guess since the 4cyl s-series are giant turds, 1st and 2nd gen included.Can't speak for the standard 4 though since I've only driven one up and down a city street once in my life
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 01:51:22 pm by Oprah »

redrider911

• Global Moderator
  • All pro
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2011, 02:13:23 pm »
My dad is a salesman at a Chevy dealer. I have him looking for some deals. It will probably be something like a focus wagon. Like I said, it has to be in the 14k range because that is what my truck is worth on trade so it will be a 12k car cause you have to add in tax, title, bull shit fees.
"I swear, some chicks around here look like they fell face first into a tackle box on their way to or from the IHOP."
- Trail Ryder

ajd187

• Administrator
  • All pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2011, 02:19:51 pm »
I'm guessing it is paid off?   Mine isn't, yet.  I only have about 12 months to go on it though.
2007 KTM 200 XC-W #59

redrider911

• Global Moderator
  • All pro
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2011, 02:23:35 pm »
Yes I paid cash for it :)
- Trail Ryder

Trail Ryder

• HHM
  • All pro
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2011, 02:30:18 pm »
Decent Focus Wagons can be hard to find.  I was in the market, last Fall, for a small and sporty wagon.  And I finally found a nice, low mileage Focus Wagon with leather, moon roof, and everything.  The power was adequate, but the rear passenger leg room sucked (I have kids with legs) and the interior had lots of rattles.

I also test drove a Subaru Legacy wagon:  lots of wind noise and the mileage wasn’t really that great.

Audi, Saab, and Volvo wagons have crazy maintenance costs, so does the VW Passat wagon.  But the VW Jetta Wagon may not be a bad choice.

Why not a Ford Ranger with 4 cylinder and 5 speed manual?
2018 KTM XCW 250 (carbed) - NY Street Plated

"Lol'd at the guy that didn't hook up his tether and launched his retard chariot into the crowd."
- redrider911
"Yup you had crappy gay stuff compared to what is available now ..."
- bardeenm1

ajd187

• Administrator
  • All pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2011, 02:36:38 pm »
Sportwagen near here my work, but this is the 2.5L, gas version.
http://www.patrickbuickgmc.com/VehicleDetails/used-2009-Volkswagen-Jetta_SportWagen-SE-Henrietta-NY/997823713

Sexy looking car, for a station wagon.
2007 KTM 200 XC-W #59

redrider911

• Global Moderator
  • All pro
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2011, 02:49:44 pm »
Yeah,  Tom sent me that link via FB. I guess it's at his work. MPG not good enough and to much money. I wonder what a 07 or 08 tdi would cost? It is a sharp car though.
- Trail Ryder

bardeenm1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2011, 03:16:04 pm »
I'm by no means brand loyal to anything and in 07 my wife rolled her 05 chevy Malibu.  Great car v6 30mpg roomy and fairly fun to drive for what it is.  She wanted a focus wagon bad I dragged my feet on approving the purchase for a few days and found an 06 malibu with only 4k miles and a 100 miles warranty and convinced her she should get that.  After comparing she was glad I changed her mind neither of us feel the focus was of the same quality even know it was a nice car.

Maybe look for a Malibu max a couple years old. May not be a chick magnet but has lots of room, hatch back, good ride, strong motor, parts are cheap also.

FYI the 06 we purchased while all specs I could find were the same we only got 26-27mpg.  We traded the car in back this past fall with close to 140k on it right now I wish we kept it as a spare vehicle.   At the time I just didn't want to deal with a 5 year old car with over 100k!  Yup thats about 39k miles a year too!