Author Topic: Greek Peak Hare Scramble  (Read 1424 times)

robw122

• All pro
    • View Profile
    • Email
Greek Peak Hare Scramble
« on: June 17, 2014, 12:28:33 am »
this was a massive shitfest. WNYOA is moderating their FB page so people can't say negative things, like "we got 5 inches of rain on Friday so don't waste your time". we figured the weather was similar to Buffalo and guessed way wrong on that. 70 DNF's. :o
anyway, it would have been a sweet track minus the foot of mud that covered all 8 miles of the course.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wDXJCKDNRA&list=UUK54SgQu_TFZdkz285a_eEw

mirageags

• All pro
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Greek Peak Hare Scramble
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 05:43:23 am »
Report that conditions are dry and fantastic. Sit back, collect money. Sounds easy.
2017 KTM 250 EXC-F
1983 KTM 250 MXC
2005 Yamaha TTR 125L
2009 Suzuki Boulevard M50 (vz800)
2008 Honda TRX250EX ( wifes)
1988 yamaha razz 50 scooter

redrider911

• Global Moderator
  • All pro
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2014, 07:31:39 am »
Every event is a shitty mud fest. Why even bother going to a wnyoa event?
"I swear, some chicks around here look like they fell face first into a tackle box on their way to or from the IHOP."
- Trail Ryder

robw122

• All pro
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2014, 08:55:43 am »
same thing we said on the way home. this was really the final straw for these guys. no more until it's dry.

ajd187

• Administrator
  • All pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2014, 08:58:52 am »

I said that I believe 4 years ago. :)  Haven't been to once since.
2007 KTM 200 XC-W #59

Clayfan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2014, 02:15:26 pm »
Yep even up on the 3rd row A250 where my son races it was a shit fest.  Poor trail marking had him ride a loop and a half for his 1st lap so even with a hole shot his day was bleak to say the least. 

WNYOA has totally destroyed that property now. 

Unless of course the Quad guys all towed a small set of discs behind them as they raced.

Bad enough for us to call it on the third lap.  Bike overheated and pissed coolant several times.  No sense taking out a motor for a plaque and a few points.

That and KBMoto HS is this weekend and that is going to be a ton more fun.

Clayfan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2014, 02:26:17 pm »
Actually what is worse is WNYOA has decided to put on a "Charity Race" June 29.  Same day as IDR is going to run a closed loop Enduro under AMA national rules (no timekeeping).

Certainly a ploy to keep the sheep in the fold.  Maybe if a few of the WNYOA loyal would try an Enduro  or another Organizers event (even the KBMoto Deal)  they might have their eyes opened

EdKTM300

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2014, 02:40:45 pm »
I agree with all the above... I started on row 12 and made it about 5 miles and blew a radiator hose. The course was destroyed on the 1st lap. I had already decided b4 I broke down that I was only doing 1 lap. I joined the 20% DNF club yesterday. I must of heard the phrase "this is not fun" a 100 times on Sunday. I will not go back to wnyoa mud valley until it dries out. Until then, I'll be at the KB Moto hare scramble where Eric and the crew have dedicated a lot of time and effort into making this a family fun event. Also will be enjoying some enduros. I put together 6 minutes of video from Greek Peak. Camera was covered with mud most of the time...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EweJ9qjpH0

Trail Ryder

• HHM
  • All pro
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2014, 03:07:34 pm »
I have to ask, why do so many go to these WNYOA Quagmires???  All the driving, drama, preparation, and the aftermath of clean ups and repairs, all for 2 hours or less on the bike.

Why not do the D4 Enduro Events instead???
2018 KTM XCW 250 (carbed) - NY Street Plated

"Lol'd at the guy that didn't hook up his tether and launched his retard chariot into the crowd."
- redrider911
"Yup you had crappy gay stuff compared to what is available now ..."
- bardeenm1

robw122

• All pro
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2014, 03:25:50 pm »
I have to ask, why do so many go to these WNYOA Quagmires???  All the driving, drama, preparation, and the aftermath of clean ups and repairs, all for 2 hours or less on the bike.

a lot of it was just a general lack of knowledge that there were any other real options. I genuinely like hare scrambles when it's not total shit. I ignore the politics, I don't care who's allowed to vend or who gets better parking. I really like racing in general so I go. I'd be more than happy to give someone local my money to do the same. I'd also gladly cut trail, pay riding fees or help maintain someone else's land for letting me ride it. I just want to ride and these were my best option.
I also didn't have lights on my last bike and truth be told I really wanted one of those stupid wooden plaques.
I'll ride enduro's or anything else, there was nothing local to do so I did these.

Clayfan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2014, 04:18:08 pm »
We too like a Hare Scrambles format.  I like parking the truck, setting up a pit area and doing my 2 hours, bench race for a bit and be on the road home by 3pm. 

Truth be told,WNYOA is a good series.

It has the properties, the ridership and the infrastructure to be sort of a mini GNCC format. 

It is priced right for what is provided because at the end of the day, WNYOA is a product.  You purchase an entry fee to ride, race and test yourself against the terrain and others.   Much more organized than our Off Road Ontario Events and nice long tracks 8 miles plus at WNYOA.

Seriously too bad about the Greek Peak track this past Sunday.  We raced the Ski Hill the last few years and I am sure it drains water better than where they held it this year.  Then again the IDR Race in 2013 was same kind of bike killing shit fest so maybe the WNYOA regulars just don't know any better.

WNYOA is IMHO at a tipping point right now.  There are some of the Executive that are not getting along at this point in time.

I'm sure they will sort it out but they really need to start to think about adjusting to a 2 day event format or at least run the Mini Quads and maybe Pee Wee Bikes on Saturday PM .
It would certainly free up their day and make for a bit less stress on the sign up and score crews.

In a perfect world, if, and its a big if, we could get the Executive of Hog Back, the owners of Sick Bros MX, Pavillion MX, Area 51 MX , KB Moto and Horsepower Acres along with some guys from whats left of WNYERA  , to sit down with the new D-4 Enduro crew you could have a nice little 6 round HS 6 round Enduro series west the 81 south of the I-90.

But its going to take some relationship building for sure.

EdKTM300

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2014, 04:33:23 pm »

Rob, Don, & I got started with wnyoa last year and had a blast. We didn't know of anywhere else to ride locally at the time. I've ridden a handful of enduros with wnydave & clayfan and now I'm hooked. I ride the wnyoa crap now when there is not an enduro to get seat time & hopefully have fun. I have learned that the clubs that put on the enduros definitely put more effort into providing a good, fun event & don't run the same old clapped out trail. I'm gonna spend my money where I enjoy riding. Well gotta go spend 2 hrs cleaning the bike now after the greek peak mud fest...

robw122

• All pro
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2014, 04:45:42 pm »
the truly sad part to this is that there are more than enough riders in Western NY / Southern Ontario to make Clay's idea valid. It's not a lack of interest or a lack of places to ride. it is (from what I've seen) arguments over money and who gets to run things that make good ideas like that fail.
WNYOA is cliquish to say the least. if you're not part of the inner circle you get shut out when it comes to a lot of things. the tracks are typically really well put together on very nice property, it's been raining for 18 months, there's really no way to fix that. the only real legitimate complaint this year is the scoring, which has been a total disaster. on line registration is desperately needed as well and they won't move in that direction, which is baffling to say the least. it'll either get sorted or implode before too long at this rate.