Author Topic: Dual Sport and Adventure Bike Rides - definitions - What do people ride  (Read 1652 times)

used to be fast

• View Profile
    • Email
Used to race Enduros and hare scrambles - just bought and equipped a KLR 650 for Adventure riding (crash bars, 50 - 50 tires, hand guards etc) and also purchased a KDX 200 that is plateable (I think)

Would love some input on what rides I could do on each bike.  I know I can ride the KDX at hare scrambles - but confused on what a dual sport ride is.   I look at some of the upcoming Adventure rides and they rate them as 3 - 4 (expert)?

I was a former A Endure rider but that was a couple of decades ago.  I just spent a week up in Canada riding the KDX in some nasty terrain and had a blast (only went over the bars twice).  I also spent some time off road on the KLR - not as must fun that's for sure.  What bikes are best suited for the different events.

Any helpful hints and info would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks
92 Honda CB750  2009 KLR 650  1995 KDX 200
PW 50

mirageags

• All pro
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Dual Sport and Adventure Bike Rides - definitions - What do people ride
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2015, 04:46:11 am »
You need to go to the monkey butt 100 dual sport ride september 13. It will define what a good dual sport ride is!
2017 KTM 250 EXC-F
1983 KTM 250 MXC
2005 Yamaha TTR 125L
2009 Suzuki Boulevard M50 (vz800)
2008 Honda TRX250EX ( wifes)
1988 yamaha razz 50 scooter

Jim Dettman

• All pro
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2015, 08:46:10 am »
Dual Sport loosely defined is a ride that is both off and on road and your bike needs to be street legal.

Within that, there is a wide variation.  Some rides have very little trail (and 'trail' sometimes being fire roads) and lots of road, a 50/50 mix, or lot's of trail and very little road.   "Adventure riding" to me falls more to the little trail (or trail with fire roads) and lots of road.   

As for which bike fits which a recent dual sport ride (hancock) would have been extremely tough to do on a KLR 650 (although one guy did try it) and your KLX would have been a far better choice.  For the MB mentioned, lots of guys have done it on bigger bikes, but I still think your KLX would be a better choice.

The other thing is that many run the events with non-street legal bikes, but have a ATV plate at a minimum, insurance, and at least a token effort at having a street legal bike (rear view mirror, horn possibly, working head and tail light).

For the most part for the events in the rural areas, they seem to be devoid of police presence the day of the event.

Jim.
2009 CRF250x /2009 CRF450x

ajd187

• Administrator
  • All pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2015, 09:33:47 am »
The police are present at the Monkey Butt anyway.  They are just riding the event on MX bikes with everyone else :)
2007 KTM 200 XC-W #59

Trail Ryder

• HHM
  • All pro
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2015, 01:04:30 pm »
When I first started riding sanctioned dual sport rides 20 years ago, most of riders were on factory dual sport bikes:  DR350S, XR650L, etc. and there were a few on 2-stroke off-road enduro bikes.  And the events were a 50/50 mix of trails and dirt roads.  And it seemed like a small percentage of the entries would show up on  KLR650s and the like, with pathetic tires, and then complain that the event was too hard and too much like an enduro.  Meanwhile, the majority were asking for less road and more trail every year.

And something happened over the years.  Promoters stopped catering to the minority (on their "adventure" bikes) and started removing more and more road sections while adding more and more trail.  Also, at the same time, attendance started going up, and most of the bikes started turning orange.  At my first few dual sport rides, in the mid-90s, there might be 80 to 100 bikes; and maybe one of those bikes were a KTM.  A few weeks ago, Hancock had over 600 entries and 80% or more of those bike were KTMs.

The AMA recognized that the Dual Sport events were turning into trail rides, and started the Adventure Bikes Series to help keep the adventure bike manufacturers and riders happy.

Except for the occasional enduro, I mostly ride sanctioned dual sport trails rides.  I find at these types of events, I get the most bang for the buck and get to ride the most amount of trail.  Most "dual sport" trail rides are 100 miles per day and take 6-8 hours, whereas:

- Motocross:  an entire day can be spent to get in 30 minutes of actual saddle time
- Hare Scrambles:  an entire day can be spent to get in 120 minutes of actual saddle time
- Enduro:  Most seem to be limited to 65-70 ground miles

I have 2 bikes that I use for the sanctioned dual sport rides:  a street-titled 2014 KTM 350 XCFW and a street-titled 1995 Kawasaki KDX 200.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 01:07:05 pm by Trail Ryder »
2018 KTM XCW 250 (carbed) - NY Street Plated

"Lol'd at the guy that didn't hook up his tether and launched his retard chariot into the crowd."
- redrider911
"Yup you had crappy gay stuff compared to what is available now ..."
- bardeenm1

Trail Ryder

• HHM
  • All pro
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2015, 01:07:42 pm »
The police are present at the Monkey Butt anyway.  They are just riding the event on MX bikes with everyone else :)

I don't think he is a cop anymore ...

"Lol'd at the guy that didn't hook up his tether and launched his retard chariot into the crowd."
- redrider911
- bardeenm1

ajd187

• Administrator
  • All pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2015, 01:46:28 pm »
I don't think he is a cop anymore ...

That particular one, no.  But I think there are others.  Admittedly I don't know specific names though.
2007 KTM 200 XC-W #59

used to be fast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2015, 08:40:13 pm »
To all that commented ( hope this reaches everyone - I don't know how to post to all.
Great comments - that really helped a lot.  I tried some single track with my KLR (what a pig - a heavy one at that). no fun.  I will get the KDX titled (one way or another and get insurance on it.  I will try the Monkey butt - sounds like fun.

FYI - I found the same thing years ago - 2 hour ride to spend 40 minutes on a moto cross track.  Enduros - same amount of driving then 64 to 6 hours of riding.  Now - the 2 hour scrambles are a lot of fun.  At my last one (2 years ago- I hadn't rode a dirt bike in 4 years - and this was the first time on the new one) I completed 3 laps at the 1 hour and 45 minute point.  The lady at the checkpoint (Hogback Hill) said I had time for one more lap and I told her I was out of gas.  She graciously offer to get me some gas.  I told her "I" was out of gas - not the bike.  :)   Had a ball and couldn't wait to gat back into it.

Thanks for all  the comments - I hope to be able to offer "some" help to others over time.

If you see an old guy on a green KDX 200 (Masters Division)- say Hi - all my riding friends have retired. 
92 Honda CB750  2009 KLR 650  1995 KDX 200
PW 50

ajd187

• Administrator
  • All pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2015, 08:36:10 am »
To all that commented ( hope this reaches everyone - I don't know how to post to all.
Great comments - that really helped a lot.  I tried some single track with my KLR (what a pig - a heavy one at that). no fun.  I will get the KDX titled (one way or another and get insurance on it.  I will try the Monkey butt - sounds like fun.

FYI - I found the same thing years ago - 2 hour ride to spend 40 minutes on a moto cross track.  Enduros - same amount of driving then 64 to 6 hours of riding.  Now - the 2 hour scrambles are a lot of fun.  At my last one (2 years ago- I hadn't rode a dirt bike in 4 years - and this was the first time on the new one) I completed 3 laps at the 1 hour and 45 minute point.  The lady at the checkpoint (Hogback Hill) said I had time for one more lap and I told her I was out of gas.  She graciously offer to get me some gas.  I told her "I" was out of gas - not the bike.  :)   Had a ball and couldn't wait to gat back into it.

Thanks for all  the comments - I hope to be able to offer "some" help to others over time.

If you see an old guy on a green KDX 200 (Masters Division)- say Hi - all my riding friends have retired. 

The Hogback event is awesome.  We (the club) put a ton of work into that one, and it shows. 

if you do the Monkey Butt, you can feel free to join us.  You might be faster than us though. :)  We're mostly C-riders in our 30s.
2007 KTM 200 XC-W #59

Trail Ryder

• HHM
  • All pro
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2015, 09:46:45 am »
Yes, the Hogback and A51 Hare Scrambles are FUN.  I don't think the same can be said about most CNYOA Hare Scramble events.

And don't be intimidated by a 100 mile Dual Sport Trail Ride, it is a slower pace than the Hare Scrambles with plenty of time to take a break (on the road sections, eating, getting gas, helping a buddy bend back a tweaked pipe, etc.).

- redrider911
- bardeenm1

redrider911

• Global Moderator
  • All pro
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2015, 11:32:34 am »
Yes, the Hogback and A51 Hare Scrambles are FUN.  I don't think the same can be said about most CNYOA Hare Scramble events.

And don't be intimidated by a 100 mile Dual Sport Trail Ride, it is a slower pace than the Hare Scrambles with plenty of time to take a break (on the road sections, eating, getting gas, helping a buddy bend back a tweaked pipe, etc.).

....watching someone with a smoked clutch go 5 mph 5th gear pinned. ...
"I swear, some chicks around here look like they fell face first into a tackle box on their way to or from the IHOP."
- Trail Ryder