Author Topic: 24hr tips and recap.  (Read 1489 times)

BLACKeR

• All pro
    • View Profile
24hr tips and recap.
« on: August 25, 2015, 05:40:43 pm »
thought it might be nice to have a thread just on lessons learned and race recaps. it sounds like most of us would do this again, so how can we do better!?

for me this was a positive experience, but there are definitely things i would change.

1. gold bond powder for the win, i cannot stress the difference this stuff made on my hands and butt once i started using it around 2am. definitely going to use this right from the start next time.
2. light, lights, lights; i thought i had decent lights: 2 task racing helmet lights, next time i will add a light bar on the bike too. i just did not have enough light to go as fast as i wanted at night.
3. a pit crew would have helped me, even if it was just a couple friends. at night i got mentally fatigued and just having someone in the pits to keep you pumped up, help get the bike gassed up, give you fresh gloves and goggles would have really helped keep me motivated.
4. i can go a lot harder and longer than i thought. i sold myself short assuming i wouldnt be able to put in the laps i needed/wanted to, but when it was all over all i could think about was how much i wished i put more in. i still felt fine and wished i pushed harder.
5. nutrition, i think a huge part of me feeling good goes to the recovery/energy gels. i was shocked at how well my muscles held up. no cramping no lactic acid build up, i felt great. once the race kicked off i survived on pieces of chicken breast, nuts, peanut butter and oat balls and, recovery gels; that with a bottle of water after every session kept me feeling great.

mirageags

• All pro
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 24hr tips and recap.
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 07:57:24 pm »
my lights were very bright, I could see pretty freakin good but like you said more is always better, I was able to go about 75 percent of what I would do in the daytime, but cramps the third time out plagued me like crazy even though I hydrated like crazy all week and all that day and ate vitamins and bananas. not sure why this happens. my arm pump disappears after the first 10 min but the cramps are bad. it turned my 38 min lap times in the day into 60 min at night because I sat pretty much the whole time and stayed in 2nd -3rd gear everywhere mainly just to avoid moving too much and cramping. maybe I just don't ride enough lately. also learned when you have a shitty old standard tube and you have a chance to upgrade it when changing a tire to a HD, do it. because that shitty old tube cost me half a lap of slowness when I got a pinch flat on the shale going top speed. i also learned how to make a pretty good fender out of a milk jug, zip ties and duct tape.
2017 KTM 250 EXC-F
1983 KTM 250 MXC
2005 Yamaha TTR 125L
2009 Suzuki Boulevard M50 (vz800)
2008 Honda TRX250EX ( wifes)
1988 yamaha razz 50 scooter

redrider911

• Global Moderator
  • All pro
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 09:27:08 pm »
Me:
1)Conditioning....
I don't know anything about this and really need help/focus on.
2) Sleep.
With my back,  it's hard to sleep on something that's not my bed. I didn't get much sleep friday night and I wasn't able to take a nap between rotations.
3) joelle needs to stay home

The bike:
1)Lights:
Didn't like my headlight bouncing around. I turned it off in the tight stuff because mt eyes were trying to focus on 2 different light beams. And I was out running my light in the high speed roads.
2) would like to have suspension sprung for me. Clickers and stuff seemed fine, I just can't jump it.
3) my dual sport bike is just too much for this type of riding. Although smooth and comfy, I think I would be a few min faster on a mx bike.

My biggest issue was sleep and consistency with rotations. I was just so tired from lack of sleep
"I swear, some chicks around here look like they fell face first into a tackle box on their way to or from the IHOP."
- Trail Ryder

eberhardt

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2015, 02:38:46 pm »
All good points. One thing that can make a difference, is dry gear.
I know when night fell, it got cold. And putting on sweaty boots or a sweaty helmet in the cold at night made for uncomfortable conditions. Extra gloves, goggles, under layers (socks/undershirt) and helmet or helmet liner help. Or having a way to dry those things out quickly if you have the time before going back out.

BLACKeR

• All pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2015, 09:44:51 pm »
I would have done just about anything for a fresh helmet at 2am.

redrider911

• Global Moderator
  • All pro
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2015, 09:55:54 pm »
I saw some iron man guys with boot driers. They must swap out boots as well as everything else. I took a shower in between rotations. Let me tell you, that was awesome
"I swear, some chicks around here look like they fell face first into a tackle box on their way to or from the IHOP."
- Trail Ryder

robw122

• All pro
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2015, 11:49:31 pm »
I would have done just about anything for a fresh helmet at 2am.

Amen. Cold, wet cheekpads on a tired head...

ajd187

• Administrator
  • All pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2015, 01:20:34 pm »
I purposely grabbed all the gear I had for this race.  I used i think 3 jerseys, 2 sets of pants, 2 sets of gloves, and 2 sets of goggles.  I only had one helmet though and one pair of boots (that are so hammered they could be tossed but they still work).
2007 KTM 200 XC-W #59

mirageags

• All pro
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2015, 02:07:26 pm »
I wore mine for 24 hours. Not a problem. Not a fan of my old msr jersey
2017 KTM 250 EXC-F
1983 KTM 250 MXC
2005 Yamaha TTR 125L
2009 Suzuki Boulevard M50 (vz800)
2008 Honda TRX250EX ( wifes)
1988 yamaha razz 50 scooter

Brenden

• All pro
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2015, 03:49:17 pm »
i had an extra helmet, but left it out in the dew.  It got soaked before I even used it.