Author Topic: Well Honda has gotten serious about off-road once again.  (Read 1510 times)

Trail Ryder

• HHM
  • All pro
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Well Honda has gotten serious about off-road once again.
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2017, 03:43:59 pm »
Well Honda has gotten serious about off-road once again.  New CRF250L is a serious dual sporter:

http://powersports.honda.com/Model/dual%20sport/2017/crf250l.aspx

Liquid Cooled, EFI, Six speed tranny, 18" rear, for a base price of $5149

ABS and a rally model are options.

Jim.

At $5,349 and 14 lbs ligher (304 lbs wet), this may be a better option:

https://www.dirtrider.com/2018-kawasaki-klx250-first-ride-review?cmpid=enews101917&spMailingID=31091570&spUserID=NjMxMTY4MDQ0ODMS1&spJobID=1142468289&spReportId=MTE0MjQ2ODI4OQS2#page-5

and we can say it has much more get-up-and-go than a Honda CRF250L.

Kawasaki did miss the boat though by not just making it 300cc from the get go (with parts they already have in stock).

2014 KTM XCFW 350 - NY Street Title

"Lol'd at the guy that didn't hook up his tether and launched his retard chariot into the crowd."
- redrider911
"Yup you had crappy gay stuff compared to what is available now ..."
- bardeenm1

bardeenm1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2017, 11:25:11 am »
I'll be honest these bikes are of interest to me.  I am less interested these days of trying to smash myself on tight single track or air out a big jump on an MX track.  Racing is not what I am looking for and while hard core hero and enduro sections are cool i'm not sure that is what I am looking to do now days either.

Riding some logging roads, atv trails and some flowing trails is what is of interest to me.  I know I might be a pussy for not wanting try the hardest trails or hit the MX track but that is where I am at in my life.  About a year now with no full sized bike in my garage I need to figure out a direction or get a SXS! :o

Trail Ryder

• HHM
  • All pro
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2017, 12:15:10 pm »
I'll be honest these bikes are of interest to me.  I am less interested these days of trying to smash myself on tight single track or air out a big jump on an MX track.  Racing is not what I am looking for and while hard core hero and enduro sections are cool i'm not sure that is what I am looking to do now days either.

Riding some logging roads, atv trails and some flowing trails is what is of interest to me.  I know I might be a pussy for not wanting try the hardest trails or hit the MX track but that is where I am at in my life.  About a year now with no full sized bike in my garage I need to figure out a direction or get a SXS! :o

I used to be on one of these types of bikes and will probably move back into one of these and / or an adventure bike when I pass age 60 or so.

However, I moved away from a Japanese dual sport as there just weren't many places to ride with "easy" trails and there were a lot of riding opportunities with single track, where the heavy Jap bikes would just wear me out.

SXS are expensive and the riding opportunies for them are bleak in our region.

"Lol'd at the guy that didn't hook up his tether and launched his retard chariot into the crowd."
- redrider911
- bardeenm1

Jim Dettman

• All pro
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2017, 08:07:10 pm »
Looks like the ante got upped👍

MFG’s are smart to be coming out with bikes like these.   With restrictions growing on riding areas,  dual sport is only going to become more popular.

And yeah,  they should have made it a 300cc.   That seems like the sweet spot for most.  250’s just fall a tad short, especially for a dual sport.

Jim
2009 CRF250x /2009 CRF450x

Trail Ryder

• HHM
  • All pro
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2017, 04:41:27 pm »
Yeah, make a 300, with existing parts they already have, and they will lure many DRZ buyers.

- redrider911
- bardeenm1

Trail Ryder

• HHM
  • All pro
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2018, 09:36:01 am »
OK, so it looks like Honda is getting more serious and responding up to KTM's dominance of the off-road and dual sport market by offering with the 2019 CRF250RX and street-legal 2019 CRF450L:

https://powersports.honda.com/2019/crf250rx.aspx

https://powersports.honda.com/2019/crf450l.aspx

Granted, Honda did introduce the 2018 CRF450RX but a 450 is way too much power for most East Coast riders.

I am glad that Honda and Yamaha have gotten more and more involved again the off-road and dual sport market.  Hopefully, this added competition and pressure will force KTM to stop being so cocky with their pricing.

But, I am still sort of missing the mid to late 90's when Suzuki dominated off-road racing and the dual sport market.

Anywho, here is an early 3rd party review:

http://www.advpulse.com/adv-bikes/2019-honda-crf450l-announced/

Understanding Honda’s strict durability standards for street-legal machines, we have little doubt that a properly-maintained CRF450L would handle the rigors of long-sustained travel. So far on paper, the only thing that might put a damper on riding this machine is a curb weight that tips the scales a bit heavy for the class. At a claimed 289 pounds wet (the new CRF450X is 275 pounds), the CRF450L is about 34 pounds heavier than a KTM 500 EXC-F. Also, depending on your budget, the target price of $10,399 might be a little steep but it is still about $600 cheaper than the Austrian 500s of the same style.

At 30 lbs heavier, though they will definitely need to be more most cost competitive (than $600 cheaper) to dethrone KTM.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 11:52:59 am by Trail Ryder »

- redrider911
- bardeenm1

Trail Ryder

• HHM
  • All pro
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2018, 11:17:18 pm »
https://dirtbikemagazine.com/inside-hondas-new-crf450l-dual-sport-bike-the-wrap/?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Dirt%20Bike%20News%205-26&utm_content=Dirt%20Bike%20News%205-26+CID_2e2219304f2470db5b8458ba8b6198d5&utm_source=create%20send&utm_term=UP%20CLOSE%20WITH%20THE%20HONDA%20CRF450L

The bike’s weight was a topic of concern. It’s listed at 289 pounds. That’s shocking when you compare it to the Husky FE501 (248 pounds without fuel on our scale) and the Beta 500RR (257 pounds). But you need to take several factors into consideration.

Look Mom, no kick start:

- redrider911
- bardeenm1

ajd187

• Administrator
  • All pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2018, 08:00:35 am »
They list the weight with a full tank of fuel.  It holds a whole two gallons (really?  come on two gallons?) so that's 13 lbs right off the top and I'm sure KTM is listing theirs with empty tanks.

No kickstart...meh.  Lots of manufacturers are dumping that.  Roll it down a hill if the battery dies :)
2007 KTM 200 XC-W #59

Trail Ryder

• HHM
  • All pro
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2018, 12:07:25 pm »
They list the weight with a full tank of fuel.  It holds a whole two gallons (really?  come on two gallons?) so that's 13 lbs right off the top and I'm sure KTM is listing theirs with empty tanks.

For the 2018 KTM 500 EXC, KTM claims 240 lbs dry (which has been verified by the industry); add in 15 lbs for fuel, coolant, and oil puts you 255 lbs wet .... 34 lbs less than the "new" 2019 CRF450L.

Yes, you can strip weight off of the Honda but you can do the same with the KTM.

FWIW, the off-road only 2019 Honda CRF450X is 275 lbs wet and also does not offer a kick start.

No kickstart...meh.  Lots of manufacturers are dumping that.  Roll it down a hill if the battery dies :)

Unless you are at the bottom of a hill or gully ... or if you have a Rekluse auto clutch.  Then you are SOL.

Granted, I am glad that Honda is FINALLY getting serious about the dual sport trail riding market.  But to not offer any way to add a kick starter and show up 34 lbs heavier than the 3 year-old bike that is 50cc larger is not going to get any customers to jump ship.

- redrider911
- bardeenm1