Author Topic: 2017 Palymyra XO  (Read 1654 times)

cheesepreetza

• Bringo!
    • View Profile
    • Email
2017 Palymyra XO
« on: May 31, 2017, 11:16:18 pm »
I pre-entered in A. I couldn't go last year. Hoping to see a few more Dirt Eaters at the event this sunday, Who else is going?

I was a little surprised not to see this event on here already, Anyone?... anyone?....

Trail Ryder

• HHM
  • All pro
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 2017 Palymyra XO
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2017, 08:37:58 am »
I am a little interested in Open C if the weather cooperates, but I have had this nasty cold that I just cannot shake!  I cannot remember the last time I got an honest 6 hours or more of solid, uninterrupted sleep without hacking up my lungs.
2018 KTM XCW 250 (carbed) - NY Street Plated

"Lol'd at the guy that didn't hook up his tether and launched his retard chariot into the crowd."
- redrider911
"Yup you had crappy gay stuff compared to what is available now ..."
- bardeenm1

ajd187

• Administrator
  • All pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2017, 09:43:33 am »
At least two of us have been busy working on it. :) Either doing that flyer you posted, other promotion, or working on scoring setup for the race.
2007 KTM 200 XC-W #59

Trail Ryder

• HHM
  • All pro
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2017, 11:41:25 am »
Heard that there was a total of 85 entries?

Probably would have double that if not for the weather and The Rewind on the same weekend.

"Lol'd at the guy that didn't hook up his tether and launched his retard chariot into the crowd."
- redrider911
- bardeenm1

ajd187

• Administrator
  • All pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2017, 01:37:11 pm »
Heard that there was a total of 85 entries?

Probably would have double that if not for the weather and The Rewind on the same weekend.

Sounds about right.   Maybe even more.  Last year we had 154, and that was a beautiful day.

I didn't see a final number, but it was definitely a little light.  As someone who's helping run the business it's a little disappointing.

But the weather sucked ass.  In good weather we would have done very well I think. 

It was still fun as heck though!  As a rider I liked it.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 01:38:53 pm by ajd187 »
2007 KTM 200 XC-W #59

Trail Ryder

• HHM
  • All pro
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2017, 02:49:09 pm »
Yeah, when you have bad weather and are not part of a series, your attendance will really suffer.  Sad.  A couple of guys who I know tried it, and they liked the format.

- redrider911
- bardeenm1

ajd187

• Administrator
  • All pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2017, 09:38:18 am »
Last year the one at Little Hollow (Tom Addy's place) was on a nice day and had 57 riders.

Things like this take time to build a brand, so it may take a few more to shake this out.  With that said I'm not sure the current form of this race will continue unless someone takes it on.
2007 KTM 200 XC-W #59

Trail Ryder

• HHM
  • All pro
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2017, 11:54:22 am »
Things like this take time to build a brand, so it may take a few more to shake this out.

The D4 Enduro Series suffers with attendance just for the lack of getting the word out in my opinion.

Several of their events require no time keeping, no lights, no registration, etc.  And the D4 Enduro courses are SOOO much nicer than the drama-filled WNYOA events on clapped out and rutted courses, not to mention the manure.

- redrider911
- bardeenm1

BLACKeR

• All pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2017, 06:16:32 pm »
heres my opinion on these events. we live in a pretty small area, we have a ridiculous amount of racing, but very little public riding. you want to get the numbers up on these races have an under 35 and an over 35 sportsmans class that scores no points and gets no trophies. take the pressure off people who aren't racers and just try to get them involved in events. even racing beginner is intimidating, if you aren't a racer. get the retired racers out, get the trail riders out, and get the outsiders involved in some of these series. i know for me personally there are some days i just dont feel like racing and i'd race sportsmans just to ride but im not gonna line up on the AA line, when im not feeling it. this event is a perfect example. ive been slammed with work and haven't ridden yet this year, im not gonna race C or B because thats not fair, but im also not going to line up rusty and out of shape in the AA line, no points sportsmans class id be there.

Trail Ryder

• HHM
  • All pro
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2017, 06:34:58 pm »
heres my opinion on these events. we live in a pretty small area, we have a ridiculous amount of racing, but very little public riding ...

You hit the nail on the head; there are too many competitive events and not enough non-competitive events in the area.

Case in point, when the Wayne County Motorcycle Club had the Newark Enduro, they would have 90 entries in a good year.  Well they changed it to a dual sport ride (essentially the same trails, but a little easier) and they draw in twice the riders, have no trophies to buy, and no scoring to contend with.  And they pocket a lot more $$$.

If I want to run a D4 Enduro, it is going to cost me $50 in entry fees for 65 round miles at best.  Well 10 days ago, we went to a dual sport trail ride and it cost me a $30 entry fee for 95 miles of fun (and about 90% of that was single track trail), plus they provided a gas truck and lunch, and I won a $60 pair of Klim gloves.

Another example is Hancock which draws over 900 riders at $100 per head; again, no trophies to buy, no scoring, etc.  Do the math on that one!
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 06:37:12 pm by Trail Ryder »

- redrider911
- bardeenm1