Author Topic: Palmyra Harescramble - 11/5 - dirteaters 2017 edition thread (10th annual)  (Read 2154 times)

ajd187

• Administrator
  • All pro
    • View Profile
Re: Palmyra Harescramble - 11/5 - dirteaters 2017 edition thread (10th annual)
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2017, 02:49:19 pm »
We set attendance records last year without any CL advertising.  Talk to the PR guy about advertising he's been all over it.

And we are using paid social media advertising.
2007 KTM 200 XC-W #59

Rumble

• All pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2017, 09:44:42 pm »
Did you guys ride the Harescramble today?
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 07:58:09 am by ajd187 »
Rumble

KTM 450 EXC
CRF 450R
XR 650L

Jim Dettman

• All pro
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2017, 07:23:28 am »

I bailed....too much work stuff going on and I figured it was going to be a lot of mud. It rained all week here except sat and my sump pump was running on and off.  I'm on a hill and when the sump starts running, it means the ground is really saturated.  Normally it only runs a few weeks in the spring and a couple days Oct.

For next year they might want to move another week or two into Nov. I know it's always a crap shoot to time the weather, but it seems like the fall is getting later and later. 

I commented to my wife yesterday that we're finally starting to get Oct type weather (45-55 and wet).  Trees are late too...I think all have a few weeks to go yet before they will be bare.  A tree in the front yard hasn't even started yet (it's always the holdout though).  Seems like we are running a couple weeks behind on the typical seasonal weather.

Wish it was running next weekend; forecast is showing cold, but sunshine Sat and Sun and that was one of the best things about this HS; always seemed like it caught a crisp but clear day, which made it really enjoyable.

I have to add too that for me personally, I'm less inclined to come too because of it being turned into a series with points and trophies.   Used to be just a fun ride and now it's getting serious.

2009 CRF250x /2009 CRF450x

ajd187

• Administrator
  • All pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2017, 08:00:13 am »
Adam and I rode it.  Not sure about anyone else, as I set up our parking area but we bailed right after because the weather wasn't good.

Lots of mud holes and nastiness.  This was #10 for me, and hands down the most difficult one. Got a whole two laps, and ended up cutting a good bit of stuff on the second one.  It just wasn't worthy trying to fight big hills and nonsense at that point.
2007 KTM 200 XC-W #59

ajd187

• Administrator
  • All pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2017, 08:02:53 am »
Wish it was running next weekend; forecast is showing cold, but sunshine Sat and Sun and that was one of the best things about this HS; always seemed like it caught a crisp but clear day, which made it really enjoyable.

I have to add too that for me personally, I'm less inclined to come too because of it being turned into a series with points and trophies.   Used to be just a fun ride and now it's getting serious.

We probably won't move the date.  It's been on that one forever, and probably will stay there.

The concerns about it being part of a series is well understood by PRA at least.  There is a fairly good chance that it will not be part of a series next year.  It's OUR signature event, it was OUR idea, and has been OUR event forever.  The other tracks are just latching on to something that they saw was successful.  It will very likely be a standalone event next year.
2007 KTM 200 XC-W #59

Trail Ryder

• HHM
  • All pro
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2017, 10:03:20 am »
Yeah, the weather this time of year is a crap shoot.

My sump pump ran not stop last night.

And I am stuck home with a bum knee .... at least my bike is very clean.   ;D
2018 KTM XCW 250 (carbed) - NY Street Plated

"Lol'd at the guy that didn't hook up his tether and launched his retard chariot into the crowd."
- redrider911
"Yup you had crappy gay stuff compared to what is available now ..."
- bardeenm1

ajd187

• Administrator
  • All pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2017, 12:58:25 pm »
Yeah, the weather this time of year is a crap shoot.

My sump pump ran not stop last night.

And I am stuck home with a bum knee .... at least my bike is very clean.   ;D

My first one was 2007 (attending) and I raced it for the first time in 2008.

This was hands down the worst conditions of any of them.  But we have had some epic conditions over those years too.

Mint condition years:

Poor condition years:
2012 (snow)

The rest I can't say I remember alll that well.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 08:13:15 am by ajd187 »
2007 KTM 200 XC-W #59

Jim Dettman

• All pro
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2017, 01:51:10 pm »

We probably won't move the date.  It's been on that one forever, and probably will stay there.

The concerns about it being part of a series is well understood by PRA at least.  There is a fairly good chance that it will not be part of a series next year.  It's OUR signature event, it was OUR idea, and has been OUR event forever.  The other tracks are just latching on to something that they saw was successful.  It will very likely be a standalone event next year.

But wasn't it always hit or miss if some crops were cleared or not?   At this time of year, I doubt many would squawk if it was slid a week or two later in Nov....but I'm not a hunter and don't know when the season starts for that.

and great news on the last part<g>

Jim.
2009 CRF250x /2009 CRF450x

ajd187

• Administrator
  • All pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2017, 08:19:04 am »

But wasn't it always hit or miss if some crops were cleared or not?   At this time of year, I doubt many would squawk if it was slid a week or two later in Nov....but I'm not a hunter and don't know when the season starts for that.

and great news on the last part<g>

Jim.

Yes, and this year the corn on the eastern neighbor's property was not cleared.  So we paid him for a bit of it so we could cut across to get into his land where his trails are.  There was no wide open fields though.  That neighbor's corn was still up, and the neighbor to the north ended up leasing to the hunters who asked him for it before we did.   That is going to be taken care of for next year though :)

Date is very important in these types of events.  Moving a date could be an issue for attendance.  Plus with a "series" now we wouldn't have a ton of flexibility even if we aren't part of it since our "partners" would have events on those dates.
2007 KTM 200 XC-W #59

Clayfan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2017, 02:04:19 pm »
I want to say good job to those in PRA.  They were out in the woods trying to keep the race course together as is fell apart lap after lap.  Trust me, I've worked enough events here in Canada and with this mini series in NY State over the years I know how tough a job that was to keep things moving in those conditions.
I do hop you guys keep it in the series though. Perhaps moving the event dates around from year to year would work better.  Say Palmyra and Cato 1st and 2nd rounds.  Area 51 third and Pavilion for the final. 

ajd187

• Administrator
  • All pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2017, 09:57:14 am »
I want to say good job to those in PRA.  They were out in the woods trying to keep the race course together as is fell apart lap after lap.  Trust me, I've worked enough events here in Canada and with this mini series in NY State over the years I know how tough a job that was to keep things moving in those conditions.
I do hop you guys keep it in the series though. Perhaps moving the event dates around from year to year would work better.  Say Palmyra and Cato 1st and 2nd rounds.  Area 51 third and Pavilion for the final. 

Thanks!  Our crew did a hell of a job, they always do.  We have probably the most experienced crew in the region and those guys bust their asses.  They know our land and the neighbor properties like no other.
2007 KTM 200 XC-W #59