Author Topic: Towing a dirtbike with a car  (Read 1084 times)

Brenden

• All pro
    • View Profile
    • Email
Towing a dirtbike with a car
« on: June 23, 2018, 05:12:00 pm »
What kind of trailers are you car towing guys using?  Im looking for something small to tow behind my subaru outback.  Prob not one of those lightweight rail deals, as i would like to have the option of carrying other loads as well.  Any othe tips you guys have picked up would be great too.  I know nothing about trailering.

redrider911

• Global Moderator
  • All pro
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Towing a dirtbike with a car
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2018, 12:04:39 am »
I have a triton 2 place atv trailer with the ramp that slides under in the back for storage and clips on the sides/back for loading. My little mazduh tows it with 2 guys/bikes/gear very well. Even at 90 mph
"I swear, some chicks around here look like they fell face first into a tackle box on their way to or from the IHOP."
- Trail Ryder

Trail Ryder

• HHM
  • All pro
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2018, 05:38:24 pm »
My little mazduh tows it with 2 guys/bikes/gear very well. Even at 90 mph

Confirmed.  I remember our trip down the QEW in 2015.  That manual transmission Mazduh towed like a champ.

For a few years, I towed an aluminum, 50" wide Triton 1-place open snowmobile trailer without issue behind a 2004 Ford Taurus (200 HP 24V Duratec V6).  When driving with just myself and one bike, I barely knew it was back there.  2 guys, gear, and 2 bikes was another story.

I know several people that have towed a couple dirt bikes behind Foresters and Outbacks without issue.

When I got a tow vehicle with more torque, I reconfigured to a 3 bike set-up:

The wheel chocks are offset 12" from front of one tire to the front of the next tire, and about 18" side to side.

Take a look at the 5'X8' steel trailers at Lowe's, Home Depot, and Tractor Supply.  Fold flat or remove the heavy rear gate for weight and drag reduction, cover all metal surfaces with some cheap roll-on do-it-yourself bed liner kits (the paint on most steel trailers is cheap and very thin), and buy 2 or 3 of these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorsport-clamping-wheel-Chock-Motorcycle/153064401950?hash=item23a3596c1e:g:dqYAAOSw-VtbJXXR

However, the wood on most trailer decks is too thin to stand up to the long term stresses of wheel chocks and eye bolts.  So if you look above, I bolted the wheel chocks to a 3/4" or 1" piece of laminated plywood using anchor nuts embedded into the plywood.  This also allowed for the quick removal of all 3 wheel chocks with only 4 bolts (one on each corner) and kept the original floor of the trailer looking great.

If you are only going to haul 2 bikes, than I would just bolt your wheel chocks to a 5'X12" plank or something (maybe diamond plate), and bolt that to the trailer.

Also, note how I used tie downs with minimal tension in addition to the clamping wheel chocks.  I know, belts and suspenders, but late at night at 75 MPH on I-90, it is nice insurance to have.  And the tie-downs minimize cargo / bike sway.

If you ever going to haul in the winter, the road salt will kill a steel trailer, so consider an aluminum trailer.  Plus the torsion axles ride a lot better and bounce less.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 08:35:47 am by Trail Ryder »
2018 KTM XCW 250 (carbed) - NY Street Plated

"Lol'd at the guy that didn't hook up his tether and launched his retard chariot into the crowd."
- redrider911
"Yup you had crappy gay stuff compared to what is available now ..."
- bardeenm1

ajd187

• Administrator
  • All pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2018, 11:23:14 am »
About six years ago, I started towing with a car as you know.  I have been doing this since then and it works pretty well.  UHaul hitch, some lights, and good to go.

My latest car has a 5000 lb towing capacity and a class 3 hitch so I may move to one of those single bike hitch carriers.  I'm not sure what the tongue weight limit on your year outback is; that may be an option too if it can do around 200 lbs on the tongue.  I suspect it may be under that though.
2007 KTM 200 XC-W #59

Trail Ryder

• HHM
  • All pro
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2018, 11:51:39 am »
About six years ago, I started towing with a car as you know.  I have been doing this since then and it works pretty well.  UHaul hitch, some lights, and good to go.

How did that Fusion transmission hold up to the rigors of towing?  LOL

FWIW, the hitch carriers are the bomb if you have a vehicle with the appropriate tongue capacity.  However, trailers are nice too, especially when you are tired or it is late; just back it into the garage, unhitch, close the garage door, and deal with it the next day.

"Lol'd at the guy that didn't hook up his tether and launched his retard chariot into the crowd."
- redrider911
- bardeenm1

mirageags

• All pro
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2018, 06:05:56 pm »
Been doing it with my 2006 harbor freight 4x8 for 10 years, grease the bearings every year never an issue. Gone through 3 sets of trailer tires i put so many miles on it.
2017 KTM 250 EXC-F
1983 KTM 250 MXC
2005 Yamaha TTR 125L
2009 Suzuki Boulevard M50 (vz800)
2008 Honda TRX250EX ( wifes)
1988 yamaha razz 50 scooter

ajd187

• Administrator
  • All pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2018, 09:54:32 am »
How did that Fusion transmission hold up to the rigors of towing?  LOL

FWIW, the hitch carriers are the bomb if you have a vehicle with the appropriate tongue capacity.  However, trailers are nice too, especially when you are tired or it is late; just back it into the garage, unhitch, close the garage door, and deal with it the next day.

I think the Fusion tranny issue were related to the Fusion's shitty quality, not the towing.  I towed very little and the furtherest I went with it was Henrietta. :)
2007 KTM 200 XC-W #59

redrider911

• Global Moderator
  • All pro
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2018, 05:32:09 pm »
I put angle iron under my plywood and bolted the wheel chocks to that
"I swear, some chicks around here look like they fell face first into a tackle box on their way to or from the IHOP."
- Trail Ryder

Brenden

• All pro
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2018, 08:10:56 pm »
Tounge weight is only 300 on the outback, hitch carry is right out.  Ill only be towing one bike nearly all their time.  Primary purpose is to make it easier to bring my family along when going to my dads to ride, or the few races i do.

Unfortunately, Harbor freight has a dot issue with their trailers right now and is not currently selling them.  Was looking at a 5x7 that lowes and tsc have for about 650.  My though was to use it without the heavy gate for the bike.  It would be more versitile than an atv specific trailer.

Brenden

• All pro
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2018, 08:16:54 pm »

However, trailers are nice too, especially when you are tired or it is late; just back it into the garage, unhitch, close the garage door, and deal with it the next day.

What is this "garage" you speak of? It sounds wonderful.

Trail Ryder

• HHM
  • All pro
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2018, 09:39:43 pm »
What is this "garage" you speak of? It sounds wonderful.

It is wonderful.

- redrider911
- bardeenm1

Trail Ryder

• HHM
  • All pro
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2018, 12:52:36 pm »
These are definitely a lot higher quality than ones from the box stores:

https://rochester.craigslist.org/trb/d/612-bri-mar-ute-utility/6628906683.html

Looks like a 5'x8' can be had for $1,400.

Although with a new deck, this one would be pretty sweat:  https://rochester.craigslist.org/tro/d/atv-utility-trailer/6606874160.html

These are nice too, but pricey:  https://rochester.craigslist.org/trb/d/utility-trailer-beautiful/6628302466.html

- redrider911
- bardeenm1

ajd187

• Administrator
  • All pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2018, 04:05:22 pm »
I am probably going to switch to hitch carry soon.  Just seems easier. 

However I'm worried I'm going to end up with a handlebar in the rear window :)  Once I get over that fear, I will get it.
2007 KTM 200 XC-W #59

Trail Ryder

• HHM
  • All pro
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2018, 04:10:47 pm »
I am probably going to switch to hitch carry soon.  Just seems easier. 

However I'm worried I'm going to end up with a handlebar in the rear window :)  Once I get over that fear, I will get it.

I have never had any issues.

This one is the most bang for the buck:  https://www.discountramps.com/motorcycle-carrier/p/AMC-400/

- redrider911
- bardeenm1

Brenden

• All pro
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2018, 09:13:16 pm »
Hitch will be here monday.  Will start looking for trailers after i install it.